I went to the beach last week with my family, and this is what mom did with some of the grouper I got. It was sensational with warm crusty bread. We had like 25 people so this recipe made a huge batch, but I am sure that you could scale it down.
Mom’s Grouper Chowder
· ½ lb. Bacon
· 3 cans chicken broth
· 5 lb. Potatoes (peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes)
· 3 lb. Grouper Fillets (Cut in 1 inch cubes)
· 1 lb. Velveeta
· ½ lb. Pepper jack cheese
· 1 qt. Half & Half
· 2 Cans drained white corn.
· Salt & Pepper
1. In a large pot sauté the bacon.
2. When bacon has browned, add the cubed potatoes and the chicken broth. Simmer until potatoes are tender.
3. While potatoes are cooking, cube the grouper, and make sure to pat it completely dry. (This will keep the soup from curdling when the fish is added)
4. When potatoes are tender, add the corn, half & half, and the cheese and simmer until the cheese has completely melted.
5. Slightly mash the potatoes.
6. Add the grouper and salt and pepper to taste and cook just until the grouper is done. Serve immediately with crusty bread.