Spearfishing Planet Store
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tampa Bay Spearfishing Challenge Results

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tampa Bay Spearfishing Challenge Results

This was the biggest and most successful "Tampa Bay Spearfishing Challenge". We had 147 "paid" participants. That's a lot of good people showing up in one place to have fun and raise money for our great charites (the tournament raised over $2,300 for the FRA alone)! Some of the other charties and organizations we raised moneyfor are: "Dive Care" Military Wounded, American Cancer Society, Susan G. Komen -Search For the Cure, Special Olympics and we may be able to add one or two new ones this year to our list.

The following is the Largest Fish Winners, Division Winners and the list of the Top 100 Spearos, that turned in fish.
    There were some big fish turned in, from some well known and repsected spearfishermen and some big fish from some folks I had never seen in a weigh-in line at any of the other big tournaments.

On Behalf of our 2011 TBSC President, Bill VanDeman and all the members of the Tampa Bay Spearfishing Club, we congratulate and thank everyone who participated in this tournament.

AJ Suarez-- Black Grouper-- 75.60 .lbs
    Trey Stickland-- Barracuda-- 33.45 .lbs
    Anthoney Vale-- Amberjack-- 45.35 .lbs
    Joe Scozzafaza-- Hogfish-- 13.80 .lbs
    Koa Vinavong-- Sheepshead-- 5.10 .lbs
    Bill VanDeman-- Snapper-- 7.00 .lbs

Big Blacks were hoisted up by all of Team Rugged Fellas, I think the smallest of the four was about 60 .lbs (Good Job, Corey, Pat, AJ,
    and John).

Top Freediver-- Matthew Bureckner
    Top Female-- Laura Pettry
    Top Junior-- Warren Hunt III

BruecknerMatthew-- 162.27-- 1st Place Overall & Tournament Champion
    Dewaine Mark-- 161.02-- 2nd Place
    Rey Matt-- 157.97-- 3rd Place
    Flinn Aaron-- 153.07-- 4th Place
    Bennett Pat-- 144.96-- 5th Place

Doty Matt 135.2
    Moraine Justin 125.75
    Hunt III Warren Y 122.97
    Cook Mark 119.72
    Suarez Armando 117.45
    Grauer Chris F 117.4
    HeimbeckerPaul 115.95
    Herrera John 112.95
    Brennan Jim 112.02
    Weeks Brad 106.9
    DombrowskiGary 103.2
    WISEMANBORGAN Y 102.55
    Schmidt Aaron F 101.11
    Johnson Chris 97.65
    McCallisterFrank 97.25
    Pettry Laura 95.5
    Watson Greg 92.25
    Schrader Steve F 91.2
    Shea TJ 91.05
    Vale Anthony 90.75
    Webster Will 89.5
    Dupree Jeff 89.45
    Cook Wade 89.1
    Poirier Matthew 85.8
    Jones Everett 83.57
    Wiseman Rob 82.95
    Waits Bruce 79.1
    AlumbaughKevin 76.8
    Fisher Robbie 74.95
    Ball Nickolas Y 73.15
    Viravong Koa 72.41
    Spangler Mike 72.1
    Sanders Stephen T. 72
    Viravong Alec 70.85
    Watts Leon 69.9
    Muller Sylvester 69.7
    Johnson Charles 68.5
    Kempton Brent 67.8
    Moon Corey 67.7
    Koon Kenny 66.7
    Hunt Jr. Warren 66.02
    Degidio Jon-Michael 65.35
    Rice Jensen R. Y 64.3
    Vandeman Bill 63.71
    Rice Tyler S. 62.41
    Winn Charles 62.3
    Watkins Scott 62.2
    O'Neal Tania 62.05
    Boggs Mike 60.95
    Scozzafava Joe 58.55
    Platau Mark 57.9
    VanDeman Caleb 56.6
    Edgecoms Raymond 55.15
    Barnes Charlie 54.85
    MILLER CHRIS 53.4
    Smith Matt 51.75
    Estes Skyler F 51.65
    VanFleet Doug 51.65
    Valdes Gonzalo 49.9
    Watson Jeffrey 49.25
    Karikas Dean 48.15
    Smith John A. 48.05
    Kellogg Kristopher 46.9
    Robinson David 46.4
    Green Jeffrey 43.6
    VanDeman Benjamin 43.45
    Burke Tom 42.85
    Ball Sr. Donald 42.25
    Browe Terry 42.2
    Papsidero Vincent 41.7
    Sandburg Tim Y 40.65
    Cloonen Nick 40.5
    Tsourakis Andrew 40.5
    Longstreet Bill 40.02
    Tidwell Allen 39.8
    Dibble Lance 39.3
    VanFleet Patricia 38.45
    Beach Anthony Y 37.17
    Damico James 36.35
    Wybel Kyle 35.5
    COLLINS DANIEL 35
    Felsman Keith Y 34.8
    Welvaert Mark 34.7
    Bourque Raymond 29
    Sabo John A."Spike" 28.21
    Haenel Matt Y 27.4
    Mason Michael 26.8
    Viravong Celine Y 26.75
    Roberts Jacob Y 26.7
    Williams William 26.3
    Stickland Trey 25
    Farzanegan Frederick 24.3
    Bagnasco Frank 22.8
    Mason Roger 22.1
    Last edited by Capt. Bill; 04-11-2011 at 01:39 AM.
    Aquatic Obsessions Dive Shopwww.AOdive.com
    Tampa Bay Spearfishing Club www.tampabayspearfishingclub.org
    St. Pete Underwater Club www.stpeteopen.com

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All right!!! Jacob made it in the top 100 .

He was beaming with his Brand new Mares 75. I can't help but think of Ralphie in "A Christmas Story". Although shooting his eye out is my last concern. I showed him the youtube videos of those dumb asses. He'll freeshaft the 2 liter bottles and cans off the fence posts.

I think he's probably sleeping with it tonight. He's already asking about the next tournament.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can the placement be posted according to catagory? I think it would be interesting to see the womans and junior catagories pulled out., And yes if you are wondering, I had a junior in the mix and want to see how he stacked up. It's a proud dad thing. Thanks in advance if this can be done! Great tourney by the way! Awesome prize table, great charities and good times.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the hard work setting up the event and nice meeting you finally Bill!

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good job everyone. i was out of town taking care of my father sorry i missed it this year. alot of new names on there which is a good thing.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GREAT JOB! It's was a blast........ Big Thank -you to my team Big Dogs for letting me spear with them! Thanks Guys Dean Thank -you so much
    Last edited by PrincessSlaya; 04-11-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good job Team Tight Speedos "Matt and Matt"
    Looked like a great turnout. I wish I did not have to work that day.
    "The greatest spearfisherman in the world is the one that is having the most fun"

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations to all the category winners, to our top five and to our new tournament champion Matt Breuchner. The competition was fierce and balanced between inshore/offshore and scuba/freediver but I couldn't think of a more humble, deserving guy to win it all than Matt. In addition to the records set for attendance, three guys broke the previous tournament points record (including Mark Dewayne and Matt Rey-awesome guys!) and we had some really nice fish weighed. Congrats to Laura for top female and Warren III for top junior and an impressive 8th overall!

My utmost thanks go to our generous sponsors who made this day special for so many new shooters (60% of the 147 registered shooters were not previous FSDA members), to all our raffle volunteers, to our club and to Chris and Howie for all the work you guys did.

It was a really great day.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a great weekend!!

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great tournament guys! Driving over to the weigh-in, I was feeling pretty confident, but when I saw everyone else struggling with their coolers, I wasn't getting the warm and fuzzies.

Rey and I were diving out of my 19' boat and we started the day out at a wreck that we knew was going to be hit or miss with the AJs, but is one of our favorites for cobia. The only AJs home were 2ft long, so we each popped a cuda and moved. That wreck was holding about a dozen gags that were over 30", with the biggest around 25#. We headed to the second wreck and it had some smaller keeper AJs on it, we each got a sub-20# AJ. There was a bull shark sticking around, so we stayed for a little while to see if any cobia might have been hitching a ride - no luck. Before leaving, Rey popped a nice mangrove.

We moved into state waters and started filling our categories. We'd stay in a spot until it stopped producing fish or the local bull got too rambunctious. We weren't seeing much in the way of gags or big sheepshead, so we went to the dirty water to try our luck. I filled my grouper category in 3 drops (a 10 and 8.5) at my surefire Bay grouper spot and picked up a just over and a just under 5# hogs. We also found some pre-spawn sheepshead all right around 4#. In the 3 or 4 hours we spent in the shallow, dirty water we must of each picked up 2 dozen crabs with all of them being an 1/8" to a 1/16 too small.

As the sun was getting lower in the sky, the dirty water was getting too dark to hunt. We were about 10 miles from cleaner water, and with the seabreeze kicking up, didn't feel like getting beat up running back out for another hour of diving. So we decided to call spearing and get our crabs. On the way back to the ramp, we jumped in under a bridge (that we had cleaned out a couple weeks earlier) and found a couple crabs we either missed or filled in afterwards.

In hindsight, we probably should have dove the dirty water in the middle of the day and back out to cleaner water for the afternoon. But in the end, taking first and third, I don't think we have too much to complain about.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a great weekend! A huge thanks to all the sponsors, shooters and volunteers that made this a great event! We went through all the 147 tickets and still had many prizes on the table worth over $100. This year we gave the people picked after the 30th spot a second chance and we went through all of those tickets as well with some prizes still left on the table. Thanks again for a great tournament, I am already looking forward to the Florida Freeshafters Open May 20th-22nd!

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations to Megan Willoughby for winning the Cliff Ellis award. Thanks for everything you have contributed.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats to everyone and Awsome job to everyone involved in making this one happen!
    Brad Weeks - Fl. Freeshafter
    http://www.Megraphicsonline.com

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, congratulations Megan and to all our shooters and winners. I'm proud to have been a part of this great event, and a big THANK YOU to everyone who showed up to make this a big success and helping out some well deserving charities. Great door prizes, raffles, and mystery tickets; everyone involved was a winner.

I took my son out spearfishing for the first time. Something he's been begging me to do since he first tried a pony bottle in a pool when he was about 8. We donated 9 or 10 of our sheephead to the Fish House for the raffle but he said he wanted to keep some of the ones he shot to eat. (My eyes are tearing up). I'm very proud of him. We would have had more, but I didn't change out my new band I made Friday night. I wanted to keep the weaker ones on to give him a chance to try loading the gun too. We had a couple that didn't penetrate completely, and some just bounce off their heads. Several near misses, or at least looked like it was damn close to being a hit (vis wasn't the greatest, but better than most days, considering. First place had about a 2' halocline from all the rain we've had lately, once we got below that it cleared up fairly well, shadows were clearly visible at about 8' and we got down to about 12'-15' deep. Many, many mango's around the 10" range, just too shot to blast. Quite a few sheep in the flock as well, those were good to go. Time to do our shepardly duty.

Since the vis was fair, and we saw fish we burned up our first tank each. I had a little over 1200#'s in an AL 80 left over from working Friday, and started him off on an AL 50. Gave us a little over 90 min. Time to get out, rinse off, get back to the car, ice up the fish, and hit the next spot with fresh tanks.

With a fresh 80 on my back and a 63 on his; we were ready. The second spot was a little deeper, and the fish a little bigger, but there was a thick silty bottom at about 20', that made it really cloudy and cut our vis way down. We dropped in under one of my friend's boat at the Marina. We had to keep moving to stay in the clearer stuff. We stayed in for a little over an hour, got out, took our fish back to the cooler, ran into another friend, and then went back in a few hundred yards down from were we just were. My buddy hung out topside while we went back in for about another hour or so till Jacob's tank started getting low. I had him get out with the stringer. When we came up the guy in the next boat over asked me if I could find his glasses and 8' aluminum ladder that fell in a couple days ago. I found the ladder, but no luck on the glasses. Shot another sheep then got out to rinse off. My buddy had a cold Heineken waiting for me, and the guy gave me $20 for finding his ladder and taking the extra time to look for his glasses, a few more times. I knew it was hopeless with that thick silty fog on the bottom, but had to make an attempt, or three.

With more fish to put on ice and lunch money, we headed back to the car and off to a Wendy's drive thru then headed to the dive shop to dump off our four empties. With two full tanks still in the car and only around 3:00PM we went to one more location, a long stretch of rocks along a sea wall hoping for some stone crabs and maybe a rogue grouper or something. The vis there was surprisingly incredible, and lots of soft corals, really beautiful. Every crab we saw was short, some of the closest came within 1/16"-1/8", but still short. Jacob got a couple of cool fishing lures he saw, but I drew the line when he wanted to keep the cast nets that were down there. We got out with 4 more sheephead, an anchor, a bait bucket and the surprised looks from several people who gathered while we were down there. We had our dive flag out, so it was all good. At the end of the day we had a stringer of fish, and a great first spearfishing trip memory.

On Sunday, when his ticket was pulled, he got himself a Mares 75cm carbon fiber gun. I got a pair of longblades (too small for me, but just about the right size for him). He finished 10 place junior and 95th over all. Pretty damn good for his first tournament and first time spearing. (Getting misty eyed again). GREAT TIMES!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -jacob-tbsc-stringer-1-jpg   -jacob-tbsc-stringer-2-jpg  

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

cool story. congrats to your son.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good job Team Rugged on the big blacks...Im referring to the fish, not D4B's sexual orientation.

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a time! Many thanks to the TBSC and everyone else who made this 1st timers experience priceless. Thanks to David and Hope for taking great care of us out there. We were Though I have trained at 60 FT it was my first time shooting at that depth. After a couple warm ups I shot my first hog. It was also a privilege to meet all you pros. This weekend definitely was a humbling experience. Again, thank you all! Respectfully, E

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Wicked View Post
    Good job Team Rugged on the big blacks...Im referring to the fish, not D4B's sexual orientation.
    hahahaha

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ballistic mentioned it above, but is it possible to see the separate categories? Maybe even just add a designated letter next to each name in the list above for Junior, Female, Male, etc? Rumor has it there were a few other freedivers in the event for example, but I had no way to determine this there or afterwards.

Thanks!

Than/ks (Given)
    Than/ks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Until it gets put up...

We have to do it the hard way and count...

The top 100 are listed. Just before the point value, There may be a "Y" or "F":

The "Y" is YOUTH

The "F" is FREEDIVER

Woman's division wasn't designated from what I see.

1st Place Womans winner and 21st overall was:

Pettry Laura 95.5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast