Spearfishing Planet Store
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: PC software for GPS numbers management, mapping

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Port Richey FL
    Posts
    349
    Than/ks (Given)
    5
    Than/ks (Received)
    11
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    40

    Default PC software for GPS numbers management, mapping

    Why is it SO difficult to find a decent, user-friendly program to allow me to view contour maps, upload all my GPS numbers, import some new ones to then check out on the map, plan out some routes and do some research?

    Have tried many and so far nothing seems to work very well. Homeport, Offshore Hunter, Bottom Finder, Navionics webapp, etc.

    Anyone have anything they can recommend? I use Simrad and Lowrance units, can upload/download into GPX format and Simrad and Lowrance formats. I use a laptop and desktop computers (on tablets or smartphones) and would love to find something that I don't have to connect to the internet every time to use (like the Navionics webapp).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bradenton FL
    Posts
    414
    Than/ks (Given)
    23
    Than/ks (Received)
    18
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    38

    Default

    This is the main reason why I pay more for Garmin Products. It's as easy as moving my chip from the boat to the computer then updating my new waypoints in to Homeport. If chip is ever fried I have a backup on computer and vice versa. Also has G2 map so I can plot courses in sketchy shallow areas like the keys. Can create folders for different waypoint areas. Keys, Sarasota, Tampa, East Coast etc...

    Looks like you tried Homeport but I'm not sure how well it works with Non Garmin Chartplotters?

    A lot of people use Google Maps but there's no marine map overlay so won't help you chart a course.
    All good things in life smell like fish

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola Fl
    Posts
    317
    Than/ks (Given)
    0
    Than/ks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    I must agree with the above post. I know it doesn't help you. But I have owned all the brands of GPS and went back to garmin. Garmin is no higher than any other brands. And the Homeport software is great. You are able to download the G3 software from a Garman that came with G3 (Newer ones like the 7600 series) to a SD card and display it on Homeport. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Largo, FL
    Posts
    335
    Than/ks (Given)
    0
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Water Boy View Post
    This is the main reason why I pay more for Garmin Products. It's as easy as moving my chip from the boat to the computer then updating my new waypoints in to Homeport. If chip is ever fried I have a backup on computer and vice versa. Also has G2 map so I can plot courses in sketchy shallow areas like the keys. Can create folders for different waypoint areas. Keys, Sarasota, Tampa, East Coast etc...
    Yep. I was about to respond when I saw he had already tried the software I use.

    For overall Management of numbers, I use Offshore Hunter. But OH has way too many spots to store in a GPS, so I import them all to Homeport. Simple couple of clicks and it's done.

    Then I use Homeport, and I divide the waypoints by rough geographical area by simply drawing a box around them. Then I save those to a separate Garmin file on the same card. Plug the card into my reader and I'm set. I can switch from one to another grouping on the fly, so I have on the water access to way more waypoints than my GPS will accept.
    Brian

    1999 Robalo 2440 w/ Merc 200s

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Port Richey FL
    Posts
    349
    Than/ks (Given)
    5
    Than/ks (Received)
    11
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belzelbub View Post
    Yep. I was about to respond when I saw he had already tried the software I use.

    For overall Management of numbers, I use Offshore Hunter. But OH has way too many spots to store in a GPS, so I import them all to Homeport. Simple couple of clicks and it's done.

    Then I use Homeport, and I divide the waypoints by rough geographical area by simply drawing a box around them. Then I save those to a separate Garmin file on the same card. Plug the card into my reader and I'm set. I can switch from one to another grouping on the fly, so I have on the water access to way more waypoints than my GPS will accept.
    Seems like all the numbers in OH can only be downloaded to a .txt file - don't know if my Lowrance/Simrad will take those in or if I'll have to load them one by one.

    So far the Insight Planner is giving me the best experience - I can use raster charts, NOAA charts, overlay my numbers, use the Navionics charts I have, etc. Just trying to figure out how to upload those OH numbers.

    PS - Homeport isn't working for me with regards to the charts, contours, etc.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Largo, FL
    Posts
    335
    Than/ks (Given)
    0
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pickled Pelican View Post
    Seems like all the numbers in OH can only be downloaded to a .txt file - don't know if my Lowrance/Simrad will take those in or if I'll have to load them one by one.

    So far the Insight Planner is giving me the best experience - I can use raster charts, NOAA charts, overlay my numbers, use the Navionics charts I have, etc. Just trying to figure out how to upload those OH numbers.

    PS - Homeport isn't working for me with regards to the charts, contours, etc.
    Hmm. Something seems different with OH lately. There used to be more options at one point. As I recall, there was a list of devices you could select from, now there is just text, Raymarine and one other. Don't even see Garmin any more. It's possible I'm using an older version than I used to as it would make no sense to take away functionality. But Document Moved seems to be down, so I can't update and double check.
    Brian

    1999 Robalo 2440 w/ Merc 200s

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    219
    Than/ks (Given)
    0
    Than/ks (Received)
    12
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Default

    I have been using Google Earth for the past few years, and it works well. You can add all sorts of available layers like NOAA charts, multibeam and lidar data, public boat ramps, toll booths if you are trailering your boat, etc. (much more than just on-the-water stuff). You can set up radius rings based on vessel range, etc. as well. Easy enough to import data via .xls, and then you can easily sort and assign custom icons based on type of waypoint (wreck, ledge, etc.). And it is freeware.
    Cheers,
    Mike

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    521
    Than/ks (Given)
    27
    Than/ks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Given)
    44
    Likes (Received)
    25

    Default

    The oldest and in my and others opinion is Carl Andren's Program o manage numbers

    Home - SeaMarks

    Carl Andren, the creator of this program, is a member of the Institute of Navigation, the International Loran Association, and the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. He holds 26 patents in electronics including some on the IEEE 802.11 technology known as WiFi.

    And he used to live in this area and is a spearfisherman/diver

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    25
    Than/ks (Given)
    1
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    For many years I have used Oziexplorer navigation software that can be downloaded online. It can use NOAA charts, transfer waypoints and routes to and from a GPS, and save the waypoints and routes to a computer file. Another program that I have just started using is OPENCPN. It does the same things as Oziexplorer and it is open software that will run on Windows or Linux.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    571
    Than/ks (Given)
    1
    Than/ks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belzelbub View Post
    Hmm. Something seems different with OH lately. There used to be more options at one point. As I recall, there was a list of devices you could select from, now there is just text, Raymarine and one other. Don't even see Garmin any more. It's possible I'm using an older version than I used to as it would make no sense to take away functionality. But Document Moved seems to be down, so I can't update and double check.
    Hi Brian.
    There is still a list of devices to choose from.
    Also, to export numbers from OH, the numbers need to have GPS names assigned.
    No GPS names? No problem. You can select the list of numbers you want to export, then mass-name the unnamed numbers with a couple of mouse clicks.
    If anyone needs help, I can do a live remote screen session.
    For those of you who didn't know-
    Frank and I built Offshore Hunter because none of the other software did what we needed it to do.
    Both Frank and I have a little bit of spearfishing under our belts.
    Frank is responsible for a 13 years run of perfect scoring work for the St. Pete Open. We both are long time members of the St. Pete Underwater Club.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Largo, FL
    Posts
    335
    Than/ks (Given)
    0
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    Thanks, Denny.

    As I said, I may have screwed something up (not updated) when I recently reloaded the program. I switched from using a Bootcamp partition to VMWare, so had to reinstall. I'll try to update as I'm sure my copy is pretty old.

    Confirmed. I had a down-rev version installed. Updated to the latest and all the formats were there.
    Last edited by Belzelbub; 06-16-2016 at 05:55 PM.
    Brian

    1999 Robalo 2440 w/ Merc 200s

Similar Threads

  1. Need some Numbers...
    By DieHardLiving in forum Florida Gulf Coast
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-26-2012, 11:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •