Spearfishing Planet Store
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: SAVE CHARLOTTE CO.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16
    Than/ks (Given)
    0
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default SAVE CHARLOTTE CO.

    Please take the time to go to this site and fill out the petition.

    Thank you
    rigday

    http://www.savecharlottecounty.org/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,024
    Than/ks (Given)
    1
    Than/ks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default

    Why? There are numerous threads on this board regarding Bush's increasing government control and now Obama's efforts to take it all the way to socialism and here is a county going the other way. I would think we would aplaud the effort?

    Maybe you believe that only people who get their checks directly from the government, are gauranteed pay, benefits, retirement, & advancement whether they deserve them or not, are qualified to fight fires? I disagree.
    I know nothing about Charlotte firefighters & EMS. I do know that the Tampa unions have such ridiculous contracts that a captain was able to hold another full time job by showing up to the fire station for 5 minutes every couple days and 'shift-swapping'.

    Why is the private sector (which requires performance by its workforce as a condition of employment) always so ridiculed?
    Prepare the child for the path, not the path for the child.

    Stupid should hurt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Eufaula, Al.
    Posts
    324
    Than/ks (Given)
    1
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    With the current economic situation contract and privatized Emergency Services for municipalities will be coming in the near future. Unless you work on a department budget committee most firefighters or civilians don't know how much it really costs per employee for emergency services. Cities and counties will be able to contract these services out at a lower cost and it's all about money not quality. I've worked for a municipality and a contractor as a firefighter/Paramedic and it really doesn't make a difference to me who my employer is as long as they show me the money and the checks don't bounce.
    "ROLL TIDE"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16
    Than/ks (Given)
    0
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic247 View Post
    With the current economic situation contract and privatized Emergency Services for municipalities will be coming in the near future. Unless you work on a department budget committee most firefighters or civilians don't know how much it really costs per employee for emergency services. Cities and counties will be able to contract these services out at a lower cost and it's all about money not quality. I've worked for a municipality and a contractor as a firefighter/Paramedic and it really doesn't make a difference to me who my employer is as long as they show me the money and the checks don't bounce.
    Nice attitude, remember that quality comment when they run on someone you care about... Maybe in your county, selfish slogans and cliche's are accepted trains of thought, but in my county we care about what we do and the people we are involved with. But then again, I guess your a little pro private sector because they are alot like the "Tide"... you don't have to be intelligent to get in, they look good until its time to show up(UF/Utah cough cough) and are left stuttering idiotic jargin like ye haws, getchu somes, and I doesn't read good... One question though: Whats it like to know god doesn't love you?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,024
    Than/ks (Given)
    1
    Than/ks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rigday View Post
    Nice attitude, remember that quality comment when they run on someone you care about...
    The government has never been able to squeeze the same service out of a dollar that the private sector has. It is based on the fact that they have no motivation to do so. So, I am going to assume that you are a firefighter or paramedic. Assuming you are able to go to work for the private company that takes over, I imagine pay will be nearly the same for the same amount of work (ie.. just because you have been there awhile doesn't mean you get 6 out of 7 days off). Is your level of service and commitment to your fellow citizens going to change?


    Quote Originally Posted by rigday View Post
    One question though: Whats it like to know god doesn't love you?
    Oops, forget the question. You answered it above. Thankfully my family will not be in your care while you have such animosity to a change that helps taxpayers and only hurts the lazy & overpaid.
    Prepare the child for the path, not the path for the child.

    Stupid should hurt.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Eufaula, Al.
    Posts
    324
    Than/ks (Given)
    1
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rigday View Post
    Nice attitude, remember that quality comment when they run on someone you care about... Maybe in your county, selfish slogans and cliche's are accepted trains of thought, but in my county we care about what we do and the people we are involved with. But then again, I guess your a little pro private sector because they are alot like the "Tide"... you don't have to be intelligent to get in, they look good until its time to show up(UF/Utah cough cough) and are left stuttering idiotic jargin like ye haws, getchu somes, and I doesn't read good... One question though: Whats it like to know god doesn't love you?
    Are you even a firefighter? If your county does go with a private contractor who do you think they are going to employee? Ding Ding idiot... the firefighters already there... so there's your quality. My comments are based on my years as an uplevel officer seeing the changes in the fire service and budget problems departments face. Costs are high right now and city's will do anything to cut costs including laying off FIREFIGHTERS! so would you rather have a private company providing services at a cheaper cost or a bunch of laid off firemen? As for me being selfish you are DAMN RIGHT I AM! If I wasn't selfish then I would be among the millions of america's struggling to make ends meet or losing their house. My family is way more important to me than anything else and I'll do what I have to do to provide for them. As for the quallity of firefighters and Paramedics in my hometown they are some of the best in the country, I know this because I helped train them. So I know first hand that the quality of service my family gets is second to none. I wasn't insulting your local firefighters I was stating a fact that cities and counties will cut costs and will not care what type of quality they get as long as the service is provided. So when you get down to a point were you have to cut cost's in your house hold are you going to buy the named brand stuff or the cheaper generic stuff? Hate Alabama all you want because they will continue to be a throne in everyone's ASS! Now go put your head back up your ASS!
    "ROLL TIDE"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16
    Than/ks (Given)
    0
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    First of all, Take a joke, but realistically if money is more important than care for your fellow man, your priorities should be checked. Second, private sectors do not offer the same service for less, just like in any other case, a maytag dryer costs the same at best buy, that it does at circuit city. The reason why they charge less is because they provide less. They pay just above minimum wage to all employees, in a career that is much more dangerous than say, working at wal mart(i.e. over 15000 reported exposures to bloodborne pathogens, 114 firefighter deaths in 2008). And, during the night shift they cut their ambulance and manning by almost a third. Leaving response time, quality of care, and employee safety in it's wake. Just like in anything else, you could probably buy that washer/dryer for $200 and it might work great for a while but then end up costing more in repairs and potentially hurting you in the process, or you buy the better brand for more money with better results and less problems. Remember this is not supply and demand, this is a service where quality of care and personal safety should be the priority.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16
    Than/ks (Given)
    0
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic247 View Post
    Are you even a firefighter? If your county does go with a private contractor who do you think they are going to employee? Ding Ding idiot... the firefighters already there... so there's your quality. My comments are based on my years as an uplevel officer seeing the changes in the fire service and budget problems departments face. Costs are high right now and city's will do anything to cut costs including laying off FIREFIGHTERS! so would you rather have a private company providing services at a cheaper cost or a bunch of laid off firemen? As for me being selfish you are DAMN RIGHT I AM! If I wasn't selfish then I would be among the millions of america's struggling to make ends meet or losing their house. My family is way more important to me than anything else and I'll do what I have to do to provide for them. As for the quallity of firefighters and Paramedics in my hometown they are some of the best in the country, I know this because I helped train them. So I know first hand that the quality of service my family gets is second to none. I wasn't insulting your local firefighters I was stating a fact that cities and counties will cut costs and will not care what type of quality they get as long as the service is provided. So when you get down to a point were you have to cut cost's in your house hold are you going to buy the named brand stuff or the cheaper generic stuff? Hate Alabama all you want because they will continue to be a throne in everyone's ASS! Now go put your head back up your ASS!

    Yes the could absolutely hire the firefighters already here, but for much less than they are making currently, with not as many hours, as they cut manning. Oh yea, with no benefits or retirement, and I don't know if you look at your paycheck, but we don't make much to begin with and need a pension plan to be able to retire before we are unable to perform our duties. This change wouldn't allow men and women to keep up with their mortgages, family expenses etc. Granted you can cut costs some places but try selling a house you can't afford anymore in the current market. This falls back on providing for your family, correct? I would think a fellow Brother would understand that. In regards to your question, am I a firefighter? The answer is yes, with 18 years of service, and 6 prior in the U.S. Marine Corp. I understand what service means as I have spent 24 years of my life doing that. Now, if you really are a training captain I really hope you bestow better morals and ideas upon your trainees. And finally, I will continue to hate Alabama, and you can have the title of, in your words, "a THRONE in everyones ass." You are right, Alabama will continue to stay right there where they belong, in the sh** trails of the SEC and it's fans. And, I will stick my head in my ass just to see if Nick Sabans got his foot out of his, oh and not chocking on my sh**.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16
    Than/ks (Given)
    0
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Collector View Post
    The government has never been able to squeeze the same service out of a dollar that the private sector has. It is based on the fact that they have no motivation to do so. So, I am going to assume that you are a firefighter or paramedic. Assuming you are able to go to work for the private company that takes over, I imagine pay will be nearly the same for the same amount of work (ie.. just because you have been there awhile doesn't mean you get 6 out of 7 days off). Is your level of service and commitment to your fellow citizens going to change?

    Oops, forget the question. You answered it above. Thankfully my family will not be in your care while you have such animosity to a change that helps taxpayers and only hurts the lazy & overpaid.

    I have animosity towards no one, but as you say stupid should hurt. My joking might have been off color, but that is because this is a situation involving many people. First, do not assume we, especially me are lazy. As I have said, I was a Marine before I was a firefighter and would not have picked a career that envolved laziness. We get days off because we work 24 straight hours as opposed to 8. So 3 of your 9-5 days equal 1 of ours, hence legally we are forced to have days off to allow for a 56 hour work week. It is easy to call us lazy from an outside view, but you try and fight a brush/structure fire in full bunker gear for hours at a time, or not sleeping at night because you are running medical calls. Try staying away from home 3-24 hour days a week. The stress is not only on you but your wife and children as well. If lazy is potentially putting your life on the line at any moment every 3rd day, I want to know what active is. Just remember your able to sleep at night brave men and women are protecting you. People lose site of that, until a wake up call happens and they don't have it anymore. I thank God every night for our troops and would pay whatever to keep them employed. Unfortunately, this thought has been lost in a world that teaches selfishness, and materialism.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,024
    Than/ks (Given)
    1
    Than/ks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default

    You are missing my point. My office neighbor is an idiot and started a fire that ended up destroying my offices as well. I am very thankful to all of the men who came out in 90 degree heat, donned heavy ass suits and walked in there to put it out. We were feeding them cases of water and they were sweating their asses off doing a job I would not want and am not qualified to do.

    The 10-15 captains who were sitting in their cars watching all those guys work? i do not care if they get laid off. Privatization aften accomplishes that. The reason your union (all unions in these scenarios) get so worked up and spread fear and anger through the ranks anytime things like this come up is easy..... look at who it affects the most: Union leaders and the lazy guys that are getting the most for the least at the top.

    They have the most to lose and are in the best position to spread the fear and anger.
    Prepare the child for the path, not the path for the child.

    Stupid should hurt.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16
    Than/ks (Given)
    0
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Your story is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Those men sweating and working cared. A private sector has no checks and balances, no county commisioners or the publics opinions matter. They work PRIVATELy, which is why they don't have to work as hard, approval doesn't matter. You can't go to a townhall meeting and say "they let my house burn, or they took 20 minutes to get to my house and my husband died of a heartattack. They are private and the Government/people have no say. A line of BS will be used and excuses will be made but no reprocussions will occur. And if you say well the private employees should have more character, my answer is why? The pay is awful, supplies are limited, and most of those around you are untrained; so, why risk my life or push myself the way thats needed when they haven't been provided the necessary things to succeed. Not necessarily money, but good equipment and the proper amount of trained personal. Which is why those officers who you say "sat in their cars," are just as important as those working. Do we need 10-15 probably not, but I wasn't there so I can't tell you for sure. Their job is to watch the building as the fire, and the fire suppression, continue. Watch for dangers, which are ever changing on a fire scene, call additional units, call the red cross, keep the public back, and arrange for transportation of the wounded. They may look a little overweight, but those men and women have earned the right to sit back because they were once skilled Line Firefighters and can recognize the dangers so everyone goes home. I agree budgets can be cut, but do it in the right areas. Give up raises for a year (which we are willing to do), give back 2-3% of salaries across the board (which we are willing to do) and make the necessary budget cuts to keep the same men and women employed doing the job they were meant to do. This is what our petition is implying and literally stating. Remember if they make cuts it is usually from the less senior to the most, which means the men and women you supplied water to, not those in the cars. The Captains, as you called them, will be demoted by seniority to the ranks that need to be filled. I hope you see my point, don't get caught up in the Union/Political BS... just listen to my words and make a good decision, and if possible please visit savecharlottecounty.org and sign out petition, every signature counts.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Eufaula, Al.
    Posts
    324
    Than/ks (Given)
    1
    Than/ks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Collector View Post
    You are missing my point. My office neighbor is an idiot and started a fire that ended up destroying my offices as well. I am very thankful to all of the men who came out in 90 degree heat, donned heavy ass suits and walked in there to put it out. We were feeding them cases of water and they were sweating their asses off doing a job I would not want and am not qualified to do.

    The 10-15 captains who were sitting in their cars watching all those guys work? i do not care if they get laid off. Privatization aften accomplishes that. The reason your union (all unions in these scenarios) get so worked up and spread fear and anger through the ranks anytime things like this come up is easy..... look at who it affects the most: Union leaders and the lazy guys that are getting the most for the least at the top.

    They have the most to lose and are in the best position to spread the fear and anger.

    Hear Hear I agree Collector. I hate the unions.

    RIGDAY I hope things workout for your dept. I have spent everyday over the last 12 years trying to be the best firefighter and Paramedic I could be. I have fought for higher wages and better equipment just as you are fighting to keep your department a municiple department. But in the end money will win out 99.99% time. Change is coming to the fire service whether you or I wanted too. I've made myself very versatile and I have adapted to an ever changing enviroment you should too. Do yourself a favor and take a step back and do your 360 so that you can see past the tunnel vision and gather all of the information you can so that you will be able to stay in the game when it changes not if it does. (My last post on this thread). Good Luck in your fight.
    Last edited by Firemedic247; 02-01-2009 at 02:40 PM.
    "ROLL TIDE"

Similar Threads

  1. Help! Save Our Oil Rigs
    By Louis Rossignol in forum Fishing Regulations
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM
  2. Save big
    By jerry1001 in forum Member Items - Spearfishing and Marine Related Equipement
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2010, 11:06 PM
  3. KEVIN COSTNER SAVE US FROM THE OIL!!
    By Gixxer in forum General Off Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 03:54 AM
  4. Save on Gas
    By Marcus in forum General Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 10:35 PM
  5. Save me some fish and vis,...
    By Gunny in forum Florida Gulf Coast
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 12:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •